157 Maquinna Avenue
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
- Magin Catala was an exemplary Franciscan friar who served as chaplain to the Spanish garrison at Nootka.
- Esperanza Inlet - In 1778 Captain cook gave the name of Hope Bay to the stretch of coast between Estevan Point and Cape Cook. Malaspina translated the name into Spanish in 1791 and restricted it to this inlet.
- Espinosa Inlet - After Lieutenant Josef de Espinosa, who explored this area under Malaspina's directions in 1791.
- Nuchatlitz Inlet - From the Nootka Indian word meaning 'people of place having mountain behind village.'
- Sophia Range - In the 1850s the five pretty daughters of Captain Edward E. Langford were the belles of Victoria.
- Captain George H. Richards, RN, surveying the coast, named this mountain range after Sophia Elizabeth, the fourth of the Langford girls. (See also Langford Lake.)
- Zeballos - Takes its name from Zeballos Inlet, named in 1791 by Malaspina after one of his officers, Lieutenant Ciriaco Cevallos.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Zeballos