3300 Wishart Road
British Columbia Tourism Region : Vancouver Island
- In 1851, when Captain E.E. Langford arrived from England to manage the Esquimalt farm of the Puget Sound Agricultural Company, a subsidiary of the HBC, he named the farmhouse Colwood after his home in Sussex.
- Dunns Nook - This quaintly named cove commemorates Thomas Russell Dunn, MD, surgeon aboard HMS Fisgard when she was here in 1846-7.
- Fisgard Island - After HMS Fisgard, forty-two guns, in these waters in 1846. Various points and islands in Esquimalt harbour are named after the Fisgard's officers.
- In fact, just as Victoria's early names are almost all reminiscent of the HBC, so Esquimalt's remind us of the Royal Navy.
- Fort Rodd - After John Rashleigh Rodd, first lieutenant on HMS Fisgard, on the Pacific Station from 1844 to 1847. Guns were installed here in 1864 to protect Esquimalt harbour.
- Royal Roads - Originally Royal Bay. The name probably has reference to Queen Victoria and her husband, Prince Albert, since this stretch of coast lies between the city of Victoria and Albert Head.
- 'Roads' is a variant of 'roadstead,' a place where ships may safely lie at anchor close to the shore.
- Wittys Lagoon - After John Witty, who purchased the adjacent property in 1867.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/Colwood