6704 Tingley St
British Columbia Tourism Region : Thompson Okanagan
- Cherry Creek - Originally Cherry Bluff Creek, the stream took its name from the chokecherries found in abundance locally. In 1860 two retired HBC men founded the first ranch here.
- Criss Creek, a corrupted form of Chris Creek, after Christopher Pumpmaker, who ranched here from 1869 until his death in 1876.
- Deadman River - After Pierre Chivrette, or Charette, killed here in 1817 in a quarrel over the choice of a campsite.
- Duffy Creek - Patrick Duffy from California, after participating in the Cariboo gold rush and running a bar in Lillooet, settled here in the 1870s.
- Saul Lake - Saul Thoma, an old Indian, liked to hunt and fish here.
- Savona - In January 1859 Donald McLean wrote from Kamloops to Governor Douglas:
- There is a native of Corsica here, named Savona. He is master of the French, Spanish and Italian languages, and would be willing to enter into the employ of the Government should his services be required as an Interpreter.
- He writes the above languages, as well as speaking them. Savona is married to a daughter of St. Paul [see Lolo, Mount], and can, I believe, be depended upon as a steady sober person as he now makes use of no intoxicating liquors.
- Later in 1859 Francis Savona (Francois Saveneux) established a ferry across the Thompson River where it flows out of Kamloops Lake.
- At the north end of the ferry, close to the HBC wharf and warehouse, a settlement known as Savona's soon grew up. When Savona died in 1862, his wife took over the ferry, but in 1870 the government acquired it.
- When the CPR was built, the population moved to a new townsite, Port Van Horne, which the railway had built on the southern shore. The new name, however, soon gave way to Savona.
- With permission from G.P.V and Helen B. Akrigg 1997 British Columbia Place Names. UBC Press.
Address of this page: http://bc.ruralroutes.com/SavonaBC